About Corporation

History of Corporation

Erode Town is the head quarters of Erode District, which was bifurcated from the composite Coimbatore District since the year 1979. This town was constituted as a Municipality in the year 1871 and was elevated to Special Grade during the year 1980 and upgraded as Corporation with effect from 01.01.2008.

The Corporation consists of Erode, Surampatti, Peelamedu, Sarkar Chinna Agraharam revenue villages. Total area of the Corporation is 109.52 Sq.Km. Erode Corporation is surrounded by Kasipalayam,Surampatti,Veerappan Chathiram, Periya Semur - Third Grade Municipalities, B.P.Agraharam and Suriyampalayam Town Panchayats, Thindal, Gangapuram, Ellapalayam, Villarasampatti, Muthampalayam Village Panchayats.

The Town has been divided into 60 Electroral wards and 15 Sanitary Divisions. As per the 1991 census population of the Corporation was 1,59,232 , as per 2001 population is 1,51,274 and as per 2011 Provisional Population is 4,98,121.

Location and Address

Erode city is located at a distance of 100kilometers east of coimbatore and is situated on the banks of river cauvery.


 COMMISSIONER,
 ERODE CITY MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OFFICE.
 New No.246, Old No.894,
 BROUGH ROAD,
 ERODE – 638 001.

 E-Mail : commr.erode@tn.gov.in
 Phone : 0424 - 2251616
                     - 2251617
                     - 2251618
                     - 2251619

Key Events of Corporation's Growth

The Corporation has got different wings such as Engineering, Town Planning, Public Health, Revenue, General and Medical wings. Difference services such as Water Supply, Street light, Maintenance of Roads, Drainage, Public Health, Medical, in position of Tax and its collection, Registration of Birth and Death and so on are some of the activities provided by Corporation.

Growth of Corporation

Erode Corporation was constituted in 1871. It has been upgraded from Selection Grade Corporation to Special Grade Corporation with effect from 01.03.1980 as per G.O.Ms.No.349 R.D. & L.A., dated 27.02.1980. As per the 1991 census population of the Corporation was 1,59,232, as per 2001 population is 1,51,274 and as per 2011 Provisional Population is 4,98,121. The present Municipal area covers 109.52 square kilometer. During the bifurcation of Erode District , Erode became the District Headquarters.

 
Click to Enlarge Photo! Click to Enlarge Photo!
Corporation Office Municipal Thirumana mandapam